You may add Labels to content within FiscalNote to indicate meaningful relationships or bundle information.
Where can I Add a Label?
Labels may be added to content in many different areas of the FiscalNote platform. The exact methods for adding Labels depend on your location within FiscalNote and the content that you are viewing. This article will discuss labelling the following data:
- Member of EU Parliament
- United States Committees
- United States Research Documents
*Note: Only United States Federal Regulation Dockets may receive Labels. United State Federal Regulation Documents, Comments, and Public Inspection Desk may not receive Labels.
What do I click to Add a Label?
Apply one or more Labels to government content or data by using the Add Label button...
...or the Label Tag button.
If one or more Labels are already present on the content, then you will see an Edit button.
If FiscalNote is not able to display all the Labels present on the content, you will see a count of undisplayed Labels next to the Edit button.
How to Add a Label?
- Click the Add Label button to activate a text field
- The instruction "Type label..." appears inside the text field
- A "Cancel" and "Save" buttons appear beneath the text field
- In the text field, start typing a keyword or term you wish to use as a Label
- FiscalNote will display a list of matching Labels that already exist in your account
- If you wish to apply an existing Label, hover over that Label with your cursor and then click it or press the Enter key to add that Label to the text field
- You may add multiple Labels to the text field while it is open
- You may remove Labels that you do not wish to apply by pressing the "X" to the right of the Label name
- If you wish to make a new label, continue typing the words you wish to use for the Label Name.
- Labels may contain multiple words with spaces
- Beneath the text field, FiscalNote will display a blue drop-down tab with header text "New Label" and a preview of your new Label name
- Click on the blue drop-down tab containing the "New Label" or press the Enter key to add your new Label to the text field.
- Press the "Save" button to finish adding Labels to the content. The Labels will be visible to anyone with access to your organization's FiscalNote account.
What are Suggested Labels?
Wherever you can add a label, FiscalNote will suggest Labels based on topic hierarchy entries (topics e.g. "Tax Credit"). You can select and add those suggestions like they can select and add existing labels.
Suggested Labels uses a simple text search over FiscalNote's topic hierarchy to suggest Labels you might want to add. As you start typing, FiscalNote will auto-completes the typing with suggestions from the topic hierarchy.
To use Label Suggestion
- Open the Add Label menu
- Starts typing
- Selects one or more suggested Labels
- Click Apply to commit the Label additions.
Label Suggestion Q&A
Are suggested labels different from the Labels created by me?
Suggested labels are no different from the Labels created by you. All these labels appear in FiscalNote and can be edited in the same way.
Does FiscalNote check for case sensitivity when suggesting Labels?
Yes. If you type lowercase "tax", you will see suggestions for topics related to "Tax" as well. However, please note that you can still create a label that is the same phrase as an existing label but with different casing. FiscalNote is examining ways to address this issue.
What happens if I add a suggested Label in one place but later I type out that Label again in a different place?
The label you type out appears as as an existing organization label instead of a "Suggested Label".
What if someone in my organization deletes one of the labels. Will it be removed from suggestions or will I still see it?
The suggestion will reappear, so you will still see it.